What are dry eyes?
Dry Eyes Syndrome is a condition where your eyes aren’t able to provide adequate moisture either because of poor quality or insufficient tears.
What causes dry eyes?
- Poor Quality tears due to inflammation of the eyelids or skin disorders like rosacea.
- Less Quantity of tears due to aging, postmenopausal hormonal changes, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis,
- Sjogren’s syndrome, lupus, thyroid diseases, scleroderma or vitamin A deficiency.
- Damage to your tear glands by Radiation or Inflammation.
- Eyelid Disorders like in-turning of eyelids or Outward turning of eyelids, Stroke or Bell’s Palsy.
- Medications like some blood pressure, anti-allergy, birth control pills, and anti-depressant medicines.
- Wind, dry climate, high altitudes and continuous staring at the computer, TV or books.
What are the symptoms of dry eyes?
- Burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes.
- Mucus in or around your eyes.
- Blurry vision.
- Fatigue in your eyes even after short spells or reading.
- Increased sensitivity to smoke or wind or light.
- Intermittent excessive tearing.
What is the treatment for dry eyes?
- Treating the underlying cause.
- Antibiotics or steroids and eye inserts that release artificial tears.
- Over the counter artificial eye drops and ointments.
- Plugging tear ducts.
- Lateral Tarsorrhaphy to help you close your eyelids.
- Corneal shields or bandage lenses which form a shield over your eye and trap the moisture in.
Is there any risk to my eyes if I don’t get them treated for dry eyes?
Long-term untreated dry eyes can lead to a condition called chronic conjunctivitis and even loss of vision due to scarring of your cornea.
Do contact lenses play a role in causing dry eyes?
Contact lenses can aggravate your condition by irritating the tear film in your eyes. Your doctor can prescribe a different type of lenses for you.
What can be done to ease my complaints?
- Avoid being in front of AC ducts or furnaces.
- Try warm Compresses.
- Drink sufficient water.
- Remove your contact lenses regularly and keep them clean.
- Move your eyes away from your computer screen every 20 minutes.
Does TV or computers have any relation with dry eyes?
Your rate of blinking decreases significantly when you are reading or watching the TV or computer screen for long hours. This leads shorts breaks every 20 minutes and keep your monitor below eye level.
If my eyes are excessively watery, can I still have dry eyes?
Yes, your tear glands may overproduce watery tears to make up for a balanced tear film resulting in sudden reflex tearing.