Glaucoma Services (Investigations, Lasers and Surgery)
What is GLAUCOMA-A Blinding Disease ?
GLAUCOMA-A BLINDING DISEASE
- Glaucoma is A serious eye disease, which can lead to blindness, if not detected early and treated promptly.
- Glaucoma is caused by increased pressure of liquid (aqueous humor) inside the eye.
- This is how it happens. Aqueous humor produced continuously in the eye drains out regularly through exit channels.
- This fluid maintains the shape of the eye so that it can function well visually.
- If the flow of the fluid is obstructed, the pressure within the eye, which is known as intra-ocular pressure, increases.
- This increased pressure may damage the fibres of the optic nerve at the back of the eye which sends message to the brain.
- The intra-ocular pressure is measured by instrument called tonometer.
- Ophthalmoscope is used to assess the optic nerve.
WHEN INTRA OCULAR PRESSURE IS HIGH
- The damage to optic nerve may take place slowly and without the patient knowing about it.
- As more and more nerve fibres are damaged, the patient can only see objects straight ahead.
- He cannot see the objects on the sides.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The patient usually over the age of forty, may have dull pain around the eye, particularly after staying in a dark room such as cinema hall and seeing an exciting movie or hearing a shocking news.
- See rainbow color rings around the bulb or diya.
- Blurring of vision
- Headache or severe pain in the eye
- Difficulty to see in darkness
- Very frequent changes of glasses without any apparent benefit.
BE AWARE OF THE ABOVE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
If you have ——
- A blood relative with glaucoma.
- Used cortisone medication
GLAUCOMA AT BIRTH
- Glaucoma can be treated if detected early.
- The treatment can be by medicine or surgery.
- Remember that the vision lost cannot be regained.
- Hence early detection is important.