Cataract is a surgical procedure that helps in removing or treating cataracts. This is categorized by the clouding of the lens. The vision becomes less and less clear when the problem gets worse. The problems happens as the person age. Read the given topic to know more about the surgery.
What leads to cataracts?
Most of us are going to face this issue at some point in our lives. In some cases, the problem can happen at an early age and in some cases, it happens very late in life. In most cases, people get to know about the issue when they reach the 70s.
Possible factors which lead to cataracts
- UV exposure
- Eye surgery
- Eye trauma
- Certain medications
- Family history of cataracts
Who needs to get Cataract surgery?
The person needs to get Cataract Surgery when their vision quality is affecting the daily activities and lifestyle. Make sure that for the treatment you visit the best eye doctor as they will make sure you get the customized treatment plan according to your condition.
Consider these questions:
- Is your eyeglass prescription getting changed more often?
- Do colors look dull?
- Is your vision worse at night?
- Do you think the vision is dim?
- Is there a need for more light to see properly?
Your doctor is going to do a certain test which includes a vision test, retinal exam, and slit lamp exam.
How can I prepare for the surgery?
- When you visit the eye hospital the doctor will diagnose your condition to see which type of surgery is best for you. Make sure that you have attended all the pre-surgical appointments. Before the surgery, your eyes will be measured so that the power and design of the intraocular lens are determined which needs to be inserted into the eye.
- The surgery should be planned on the appropriate day. On the surgical appointment, you should not wear eye makeup. After the surgery, have someone drive you back home. The surgery lasts for 15 minutes but the preparation time can take around 1 to 2 hours.
How does cataract surgery happen?
On the day of surgery, the patient can go back home. The patient is given a sedative for relaxation and eye drops are put to numb the eye. The skin around the eye & eyelid will be sterilized and cleaned.
In the surgery, tiny incisions are made in the peripheral part of the corner which is the front part of the eye. After that, the lens bag is opened. The probe is inserted into the eye at a very fast speed and the rest of the material is suctioned out. Next, into the eye, the clear lens implant is inserted with the small incision and placed on its position.