Eye tumors can be secondary tumors that spread from the other body parts like lung, bowel, prostate, or breast. The primary tumors which can occur in the eye itself are retinoblastoma in children and melanoma in adults. In this guide, we are going to mention the symptoms of eye tumors.
Eye tumors are also called ‘ocular tumor’. The tumor is the growth of abnormal cells and it can be cancerous or non-cancerous.
Type of Eye tumor
- The most common type of eye tumor is metastatic. It is a secondary eye tumor that gets spread from other body parts like lung, prostate, bowel, or breast.
- The most common primary type of eye tumor is melanoma which forms in the adult eyes. This type of cancer is also known as “choroidal” melanoma or “uveal” melanoma. It occurs in 3 main areas of the eyes which include the choroid, ciliary body, and iris.
- Some of the rare eye cancers are eyelid carcinoma, lacrimal gland tumor, and conjunctival melanoma.
Symptoms of Eye tumor
Eye moles develop with the growth of certain cells in the eye. Your eye might have an abnormal brown spot in or on the eye. These eye moles are non-cancerous which develop on the iris, conjunctiva, or choroid of the eye.
How will the eye tumor appear?
Firstly, the iris will have a dark spot which is the colored part of the eye. In case you notice this, then you need to consult your eye doctor.
- In most cases, patients with eye tumors have a blurry vision or visible shadow of fibers.
- In some cases, there are no symptoms so the eye routine examination is helpful.
If you notice a spot in or close to the eye growing, then you should visit the best eye hospital immediately.
Benign Eye tumors
Benign eye tumors grow in the eyewall or the eyelid. These are pigmented lesions that develop inside the eye. This type of cancer can lead to abnormal growth of blood vessels surrounding or inside the eye. It is known as hemangioma and its symptoms are vision change or redness.
Malignant Eye Tumors
The eye can get affected by different cancers like:
- Orbital cancer the eyeball surrounding tissues as well as muscles that move the eyeball and nerves.
- Adnexal cancers affect eyelids tissue and tear glands.
- Malignant melanomas develop due to simple changes so you need to keep a proper check. In case, you have a mole, then make sure to get the eye examination.
Keep in mind all the eye cancer won’t result in symptoms, but some of them which can be present are:
- Flashes of light
- Visual distortion
- Vision loss
- Irregularly shaped pupil
- Floating objects
Early detection will give you the best treatment course. If you have noticed any of the above-mentioned symptoms then schedule your appointment right away.